Matara Fort, It is believed that the Fort was built by the Portuguese for the first time. The Portuguese assisted King Don Juan Dharmapala of Kotte. Although it is believed that a fort was built in 1595, the present fort was built by the Dutch. The Nilwala River estuary was built in 1645 on the triangular ground between the lagoon and the sea. But the date now marked on the entrance of the fort is around AD. The date of the rebuilding of the fort, rather than the date on which the fort was built, is 1789.
The Dutch built the fort. The Kandyan invasion of Matara in 1761 resulted in the Sinhalese army. But on February 2, 1762, the Dutch regained control of the fort. On 24th February 1796 the Fort of Matara was handed over to Dutch by the Dutch.
The Matara Fort is made of granite and limestone and the fort and the gateway are very well preserved. During the Dutch period, the fort was home to an elephant, the Government Agent’s quarters, the old church, cinnamon, beef, and gunpowder. The oldest surviving building is the Old Dutch Church, which has Dutch-style architectural features, including a staircase. One of the oldest tombs in the church is the oldest tomb in the area. Proof that it was made in 1686.
The Matara Fort was built during the British rule and can be identified as the Court Building, the Rest House, and the Matara Police Building.
Read another Article Related Fort: Galle Fort